I hear people say that their 30s were great – and the 40s even better, when they really began knowing who they were and what they wanted. What about the 50s, 60s, 70s+? Women in their prime are sporting attitude and confidence. Looking back over my younger days, I experience a sense of clarity that I wish I could explain to the person I was. How much energy I wasted on trivial things! How much of a beating I gave myself over mistakes that were really life lessons!
Although often shocked to the point of speechlessness when I realize that “20 years ago” was nearly the year 2000, instead of 1980, I find many things to be grateful for in the passage of time and the wisdom that comes with age.
- It took a while, but women in their prime realize that you can say “no” to things. “No” to time wasters. “No” to commitments and friends that don’t make you feel good. You clean house, so to speak, of anything and ANYONE who takes more than they give.
- You do (or should) look in the mirror and instead of cringing, truly appreciate who you are – laugh lines, worry lines, and all. The most beautiful thing about a woman is her confidence and how she carries herself. So, chin up, shoulders back, and strut your stuff.
- It’s not about what others think of you anymore. It’s about what you think of you. As the saying goes, I’d rather be someone’s shot of whiskey than everyone’s cup of tea.
- We’ve learned perfection is overrated and impossible. We are able to laugh at ourselves and see the beauty in our human imperfections.
- We know what we want from our relationship partners – and what we don’t. There’s one person who holds the key to our happiness: us.
>READ: SELF-CONFIDENCE COULD BE YOUR SUPERPOWER
- We were there before #metoo and #timesup. We called it “male chauvinism” and it prompted many women of the ageless generation to strike out and start their own businesses. Now, those entrepreneurs are helping other women launch businesses and brands.
- Women in their prime are more likely to speak up and out in board rooms and corporate settings, not afraid to express our opinions or to be seen as “bitchy.”
- The mantle of leadership fits more comfortably on our shoulders now. We realize that mentoring and supporting other women makes all of us stronger. There’s room for more than one woman at the table.
- It’s easier to tell when to give up and regroup and when to keep fighting. We’ve learned from our mistakes by owning up to them.
- We are willing to listen, to learn, and to develop our strengths rather than our weaknesses.
>READ: GREY PANTHERS IN BUSINESS: DON’T UNDERESTIMATE US
Fitness & Health
- That old saying that goes, “If you don’t have your health, you don’t have anything,” is true.
- Also true: Move it or lose it. No more pampered princess. Now, it’s lifting weights, cardio and core strength.
- Women in their prime are educated about what we need to do, how we need to do it, and what we should and shouldn’t eat. However, we allow ourselves leeway and the occasional cheat day. Or week. Without an overabundance of guilt.
- We are delighted to no longer have to worry about birth control – but find menopausal acne a cruel price to pay.
- We’ve found the freedom (and time) to enjoy a healthy physical relationship now that the house is empty, the daily stress of child rearing is over, and we know how to check our professional life at the door.
>READ: THE KEY TO AGING WELL? IT’S NOT ONE THING
- We aren’t afraid to try a new hair color or style. For that matter, many of us try Botox, fillers, and a variety of treatments aimed at making us look as youthful and confident as we feel.
- Trends come and go, but good taste is forever. Women in their prime wear what we want and don’t care what anyone thinks. We’ve lived long enough to know what complements our skin tone, shape and lifestyle.
- As Nora Ephron wrote, we feel bad about our necks – but better about our collections of handbags, scarves and turtleneck sweaters.
- We’ve learned we won’t die if someone sees us in public without lipstick; a run in our stockings isn’t the end of the world; and big, oversized Jackie O sunglasses are a girl’s best friend.
- We know what real glamour is; and real beauty – the kind that surrounds a woman who wields her power for good in a world that doesn’t always make that easy.
>READ: THE GREAT STYLE DEBATE: SPECTACULARLY DRESSING YOUR AGE
Women in their prime are a force to be reckoned with. There is so much freedom and acceptance that comes with the over 50 attitude. Go ahead, if you haven’t already – embrace your quirkiness, your individual style, your wrinkles, your friends, your humor and your power. You deserve it.
>READ: WOMEN IN THEIR PRIME – FEATURED WOMEN
Did you like this article? Sign up (it's free!) and we'll send you great articles like this every week. Subscribe for free here.