Fashion trends are constantly changing, and the same is true for sunglasses. This year we’re pleased to say goodbye to the tiny sunglasses that offer little to no coverage. What’s worse is they look pretty bad on most face shapes, so not only are you not looking your best, but you’re continually squinting throughout the day, creating new fine lines and wrinkles. Back in style are our beloved Jackie O-styled frames. A few of the trendy sunglasses this summer that are also appropriate for classy ladies of our ageless generation are:
Monochromatic – This year, it’s a lot of fun to match your sunglasses to your outfit to create a sleek and uniform look. While it’s always easy to match your black or white frames, mix it up a little bit by going colorful with reds, blues, or especially trendy right now: Barbie pink.
Angular Sunglasses – This style has been seen on a number of runways this year, from Vivienne Westwood to Dolce and Gabbana. If you want to try this trend, think of geometric shapes like square, rectangular, and hard edges.
Cat-Eye - Cat-eye sunglasses have been around since, well, forever, and they’re back and better than ever this year. Check them out in colorful frames, simple black, or a lovely tortoiseshell to match your outfit.
Round Lenses – These allow for the oversized, Jackie O-style frames, which give a dash of nostalgia to an ever-increasing trend towards modernism and futurism. This year the thicker the frame and the darker the lens, the better. Have a little fun with it and get an old Hollywood look with a little summer charm.
Translucent Frames – why spend all that time and effort on glowy makeup and healthy skin just to cover it with a heavy, dark frame? This is a great way to brighten the eye area of the face because they refract light and go with the glow, and this year we really love this look with a thin wire frame to draw more attention to your face.
Colorful frames – many of these are a throwback to the 90s. They’re an excellent way to coordinate your swimwear or other accessories or add a dash of color to a swimsuit that’s a neutral color. If you aren’t sure which color to choose, go with the aforementioned Barbie pink – or red and white were a big hit on the runways this spring and summer. We saw both on the Dior catwalk, and they were absolutely dynamite.
Tortoiseshell – This is another style that always seems to be at the forefront. We think it’s because it matches pretty much anything and looks great on pretty much anyone.
Our Top Picks
Sunglasses Under $50
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
- Sugar Oversized Square Sunglasses, $25
- Classic Round Sunglasses, $15.99
- Retro Thin-Rim Sunglasses, $38
- Feisedy Cat Eye Fashion Metal Mirrored Sunglasses, $14.98
- Sungait Vintage Round Sunglasses, $11.99
- WearMe Pro Tinted Retro Circle Sunglasses, $11.99
- Oversized Square Sunglasses, $9.99
- AJ Morgan Agreed Round Sunglasses, $35
- Anthropologie Jolene Sunglasses, $58
- Denise Aviator Sunglasses, $79.50
- J.Crew Dock Sunglasses, $ 55.99
- Quay x Saweetie Almost Ready Square Sunglasses, $85
- Quay High Key Aviator Sunglasses, $85
- Ralph by Ralph Lauren Sunglasses, $95
- J.Crew Lakeside Tortoise Shell Sunglasses, $79.50
- Anthropologie I-Sea Paige Sunglasses, $58
- Burberry Sunglasses, $140.50
- Machete Jenny ‘70s Sunglasses, $160
- Anna Sui Butterfly Sunglasses, $178
- Oakley Split Time Aviator Sunglasses, $163.98
- Ray-Ban Erika Gradient Round Sunglasses, $155
- Ray-Ban Aviator Classic Sunglasses, $163
- Lele Sadoughi Palma Aviators, $165
- Tory Burch Square Sunglasses, $183
- Dolce & Gabbana Sunglasses, $203
- Tiffany & Co. Sunglasses, $386
- Maui Jim Orchid Polarized Sunglasses, $279
- Garrett Leight Calabar Square Sunglasses, $360
- Prada Sunglasses, $234.40
- Krewe St. Louis Polarized Round Sunglasses, $375
- Prada Semi-Transparent Acetate Cat-Eye Sunglasses, $321
- Loewe Anagram Round Acetate Sunglasses, $380
Sunglasses $400 and Over
- Celine Bold 3 Dot Square Sunglasses, $480
- Gucci Square Sunglasses, $505
- Prada Symbole Geometric Sunglasses, $433
- Gucci Oversized Geometric Injected Sunglasses, $465
- Saint Laurent Kate Two-Tone Cat-Eye Sunglasses, $475
- Gucci Women’s Cat Eye Sunglasses, $435
- Balenciaga Acetate Cat-Eye Sunglasses, $435
- Balenciaga logo Rectangle Acetate Sunglasses, $520
As we move through the summer months, it’s essential to have a pair (or more!) of trendy sunglasses that can keep your eyes healthy when the sun is at its brightest. Find a pair that kicks up your fashion game, as well as a pair that offers day-to-day protection, helping to prevent fine lines and wrinkles.