One fashion trend that came to the forefront a few years back that’s stuck around is booties. They’re versatile and are perfect for the cooler fall and winter weather. This year you’ll find a great selection with bold colors, prints, chunky bottoms, and all kinds of heel heights. Knowing how to style booties for fall and winter may be the best fashion advice you can get.
You may have resisted booties in the past as they can feel clunky, particularly if you are petite and/or have thick calves. A few things to keep in mind are: a round toe or square toe will make a longer/wider foot appear shorter, a pointed toe will make a small foot look longer, and the higher the rise of the boots, the shorter your skirt or dress should be.
Best Tips on How to Style Booties
1. If you want to add height to your frame and create a slimming look, create a monochromatic look with tights, boots, and a dress or skirt. Black or charcoal grey will be the most slimming. Also, it’s a great way to style taller booties that cover your ankle.
2. You can create a longer, sleeker look for your legs if you tuck skinny or straight jeans into your booties. However, don’t tuck wider-leg jeans or pants into a bootie. It is an unflattering look on anyone, regardless of age. Though this year, wearing ankle jeans and showing the leg in between the bootie and hem is a frequent look if you’ve got a little height.
3. Leggings will be most flattering with a bootie that either sits under the ankle bone (you’ll show a little skin) or fits tightly above the ankle.
4. Wear a neutral pair of booties if you wear a pencil skirt or straight dress with bare legs or nude stockings. The neutral boot will help elongate your leg.
5. Don’t wear black opaque tights with colored boots. This will shorten your legs and give you the appearance of having thick ankles (whether you do or not).
6. Instead of buying flats for walking this fall, buy a low-heeled bootie. They are often more comfortable than flats or loafers, and you’ll also find that they are more versatile.
7. Don’t cuff your jeans over your booties unless you can carry it off. Cuffed jeans are a very “young” look and only suit older women with a very youthful appearance and a fairly slender body. Be sure to keep the cuff small. The bigger the cuff, the more leg you will be cutting off.
Our Favorite Booties for Women Over 50
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Check out some of our favorite styles at a range of prices below.
Fashion Finds: Top 10 Sweater Dresses for Winter
Gorgeous Fall Boots We;e Adding To Our Carts ASAP