We thought booties were big last year, but they have exploded this season. Bold Colors, prints, square toe options and all kinds of heel heights. Knowing how to style booties for fall may be the best fashion advice you can get.
You may have resisted booties in the past as they can feel clunky, particularly if you are petite and/or have thick calves. A few things to keep in mind are: a round toe or square toe will make a longer/wider foot appear shorter, a pointed toe will make a small foot look longer; the higher the rise of the boots, the shorter your skirt or dress should be.
1. If you are looking to add height to your frame and create a slimming look, create a monochromatic look with tights, boots, and dress or skirt. Black or charcoal grey will be the most slimming. Also, it’s a great way to style taller booties that cover your ankle.
2. You can create a longer, sleeker look for your legs if you tuck skinny or straight jeans into your booties. Don’t tuck wider leg jeans or pants into a bootie. It is an unflattering look on anyone, regardless of age. Though this year…wearing ankle jeans and showing leg in between the bootie and hem is a frequent look if you’ve got a little height.
3. Leggings will be most flattering with a bootie that either sits under the ankle bone (you’ll show a little skin) or fits tightly above the ankle.
4. Wear a neutral pair of booties if you are wearing a pencil skirt or straight dress with bare legs or nude stockings. The neutral boot will help elongate your leg.
5. Don’t wear black opaque tights with a colored boot. You will have shortened your legs and given yourself the appearance of having thick ankles whether you do or not.
6. Instead of buying flats for walking this fall, buy a low heeled bootie. They are often more comfortable than flats or loafers. You’ll also find them more versatile.
7. Don’t cuff your jeans over your booties unless you can carry it off. Cuffed jeans are a very “young” look and only suit older women who have a very youthful appearance and a fairly slender body. Be sure to keep the cuff small. The bigger the cuff, the more leg you will be cutting off.
Check out some of our favorite styles in a range of prices below.
Aquatalia Lucie Bootie, $170.99
Louise Et Cie Lenci Bootie, $89.96
Lucky Brand Lilka Suede Bootie, $83.96
Subscribe today for free to receive our weekly update and never miss an article.