Thinking about the care of your skin isn’t just reserved for your daily beauty regimen. Nourishing your skin is an integrative process inclusive of non-toxic organic skincare products, optimal nutrition and mindful lifestyle choices.
A holistic approach that emphasizes the interconnectedness of all three areas is the healthiest and most sustainable method way of attaining lasting beauty and wellness.
1. Organic Skincare Products: A Natural Path to Optimal Skin Health
PURE + SAFE SKINCARE
- Use “clean” organic skincare products, like Planted in Beauty, to avoid harsh abrasives, toxic chemical preservatives and synthetic fragrances that can harm your health in ways far beyond just skin irritation.
- Look for certified natural and organic plant-based ingredients that organic skincare brands offer because they work naturally with your skin to fight free radicals, protect against inflammation, combat the aging process, and boost production of collagen and elastin.
- Commit to a skincare routine and apply it twice a day, every day, without fail.
- Using organic skincare products, like Smooth+Soften Cleansing Emulsion, double cleanse your skin to achieve the most thorough clean that won’t leave you feeling dry. Start first with a lightweight makeup remover to sweep away makeup, dirt and environmental debris, then follow with a gentle cleanser that will purify and deeply cleanse beneath the surface.
- Exfoliate skin 2-3 times a week for a polished, healthy-looking complexion.
- Restore skin’s natural pH level after cleansing with an alcohol-free and emollient-rich, facial toner. We recommend Balance+Calm Natural Toner.
TREAT + PROTECT
- Nourish your skin with a specialized organic skincare treatment complex that is loaded with plant-based vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients to help promote collagen production, boost elastin and brighten skin with renewed clarity and brilliance.
- Protect and maintain an optimal level of moisture in your skin twice daily. Use an antioxidant-rich moisturizer, like Nourish+Protect Antioxidant Moisturizer that acts as a protective sealant against the harsh elements in the environment while providing nutrients and essential moisture for nourished skin.
- Treat the skin around your eyes with specialized organic skincare products that alleviate dark under eye circles and puffiness, moisturizes and hydrates, helps visibly lift, firm and define the eye area for a smoother, brighter look.
2. Nutrition: Feed Your Skin for Beauty Inside and Out
LET FRUITS AND VEGGIES NOURISH YOUR BODY
- Eat a full-color spectrum of fruits and vegetables to nourish your body with the highest concentration of antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Keep your vegetable servings bigger than your daily intake of fruit. Aim for 6 to 8 and even 10 servings per day!
RESIST FOODS THAT ARE PROCESSED
- Begin to eliminate processed foods and gradually add in pure, plant foods to your diet.
- Focus your diet on whole, nutrient-dense foods aka superfoods. Things like leafy greens, healthy fats and organic protein for that glowing complexion.
- Fill your plate with a wide variety of unrefined, whole and plant-based foods that are seasonal, organic and in as close to their natural state as possible.
SUGAR? JUST SAY NO
- When the urge strikes, reach for fruits such as blackberries, raspberries and blueberries, or sweet vegetables like sweet potatoes and carrots which offer antioxidants and fiber.
DRINK AND DRINK SOME MORE!
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day for proper hydration.
- Add a zest with some citrus like lemon slices or limes – a great source of Vitamin C.
MAINTAIN A HEALTHY GUT AND RECEIVE A SKIN BONUS
- Consider adding probiotic supplements and probiotic food (dark chocolate and fermented veggies) to increase the healthy bacteria in your gut. The bonus for the skin is increased collagen production, hydrated skin and a reduction in fine lines.
BEWARE OF THE SNEAKY FOOD “FRENEMIES”
- Cook with coconut oil and not vegetable oils. Coconut oil is an awesome beauty fat option that promotes glowing skin.
- Try warm water with lemon in place of that morning cup of coffee and receive loads of beauty benefits: a boost to help flush out toxins with radiance enhancing Vitamin C provides much needed hydration after the dehydration most of us experience at night.
- Switch to almond milk or coconut milk and gain nourishing beauty fats and minerals.
- Replace processed protein bars with a handful of almonds. Just read the label and you’ll see these ingredients are not fuel for beautiful skin.
HOW TO A.C.E. TAKING YOUR BEAUTY VITAMINS
- Incorporate sweet potatoes and carrots in your diet as an excellent source of Vitamin A
- Get your daily boost of Vitamin C with citrus fruits and kale.
- Indulge in “good fat” favorites, avocados and almonds, to attain Vitamin E
3. Lifestyle: Live Healthy for Naturally Radiant Skin
SIMPLIFY TO AVOID STRESS
- Take time and treat yourself to some “quiet time” every day. It will nourish your body, soul and relieve a lot of stress.
- Set reasonable limits, scale back your to-do list and make time to do the things you enjoy.
- Surround yourself with positive and supportive people.
- Whatever you cook, make more of it! Double up your portions and freeze for later in the week.
- Give yourself the gift of rest and aim for 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night; your body repairs itself at night!
- Create a calm and restful sleep environment; keep your room dark, cool, and quiet.
- Drink chamomile tea or other herbs such as Passion Flower to help calm your brain and body.
- Limit caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, and big meals at night.
- Breathe deeply and exercise! This will flush out toxins in your skin and release your “happy” endorphins.
- Exercise can be anything that causes your heart to beat faster, such as cardiovascular or strength training. Even going for a bike ride or a power walk with your dog is a great way to exercise holistically!
PROTECT YOUR SKIN FROM THE SUN
- Avoid “high sun” times: 10:00 – 3:00 (standard time) or 11:00 – 4:00 (daylight savings time).
- Apply a natural sunscreen to prevent the UV rays from penetrating any exposed skin.
- Wear wide-brimmed hats and UV protective sunglasses.
- Cover up with protective clothing such as tightly woven long-sleeved shirts and long pants or special sun-protective clothing which is specifically designed to block ultraviolet rays.
Using organic skincare products, like the Planted in Beauty line, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and eating right are the keys to beautiful skin you’ll want to show off. And an added bonus – you’re going to feel better for taking such good care of yourself.
Road Test: Elle Macpherson’s SUPER ELIXIR Greens
Prime Pick: Honest Beauty Hydrogel Cream
Did you like this article? Sign up (it's free!) and we'll send you great articles like this every week. Subscribe for free here.