We recently had the pleasure of eating dinner at my mother-in-law’s home. Not only is she the best cook that I know, but we have a lot in common, including our love for her son and an appreciation for a good glass of wine. She makes a lot of delicious dishes, but one of my favorites is her marinated flank steak. She mentioned that as she’s gotten older, she still enjoys a great meal but has become equally appreciative of a dish that isn’t time-intensive and doesn’t take a lot of energy to prepare. Finally, she said that, despite the full flavor of the flank steak, it’s actually a pretty easy recipe. For me, that’s a win-win, so I requested that she send me the recipe, and I look forward to making it in the near future.
So, here’s Lottie’s recipe for a deliciously simple marinated flank steak, best served with a creamy horseradish sauce, a glass of red wine, and your favorite side dish (see the ‘Read More’ section below for two tasty options).
Marinated Flank Steak
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tbsp chopped rosemary (fresh)
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2-pound trimmed flank steak
- Combine the wine, soy sauce, onion, rosemary, garlic, and olive oil in a baking dish.
- Add the steak, turning it to coat all sides.
- Cover and marinate overnight. Turn the steak occasionally to make sure both sides are seasoned.
- Prepare the grill to high heat.
- Drain the marinade from the steak, preserving it in a small saucepan. Boil the liquid for one minute.
- Season the steak with pepper, and then grill to the desired cooking temperature. While grilling, baste occasionally with reserved marinade to keep the meat moist and tender.
- Transfer the steak to a plate and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut the steak across the grain into thin slices and serve.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 chopped green onion (or the equivalent amount of chives)
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp prepared horseradish
- Salt and pepper
- Mix ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If prepared ahead of time, cover and refrigerate.
The next time you host a dinner at your home, consider this delicious yet surprisingly easy marinated flank steak recipe that’s sure to delight your guests and leave you with little cleanup.
Don’t Forget the Vino!
A great steak dinner just doesn’t seem complete without a glass of red wine. Here is one of my favorites to pair with a perfectly grilled steak on a lovely summer day.
Daou Cabernet Sauvignon, $28.99