For a top style trend to be on the lookout for everywhere in 2023, I’ve got two words for you: trouser suits. Both classy and timeless, it’s an effortless way to get dressed and out the door while looking both confident and sophisticated. Here’s why you might just need to add a trouser suit (or two) into this year’s wardrobe.
What is a Trouser Suit?
Long gone is the stuffy, corporate look of a two-piece pantsuit. For the 21st Century, it’s all about the trouser suit. Even the name is classier!
In a nutshell, the trouser suit is a set including pants and a jacket in the same material and color. Ranging from super elegant to laidback and effortless, the trouser suit is popping up everywhere and on everyone from the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, to Julianne Moore to Sandra Oh and Michelle Obama.
So, why is the trouser suit trend so on-trend this year? They’re likely gaining popularity because they can be dressed up with some gorgeous jewelry or dressed down with tennis shoes. At this point in my life, I need effortless dressing and a wardrobe that I know I can throw on and rush out the door without having to second guess my choice, so a trouser suit is definitely part of it. The best part about them is the fact that they can be so individualized based on your personal style.
If you need a little bit of style inspiration and some cues for styling them, keep reading.
How to Style Trouser Suits
For 2023, it’s all about highlighting the suit itself, as many are made in vibrant colors and super bold patterns and textures. But if you really want to go classy, stick with a black or nude shade that will work well in any context.
If you want to stay on trend, celebrities have been wearing trouser suits with minimal jewelry. As for what goes underneath, again, it’s all about minimalism. I’ve seen everything from a matching vest to a low-neck tee to nothing at all—buttoned up, of course.
But you know what makes you feel confident and brave, so if you want to wear one with a tank top or go super bold and show off some serious cleavage, you do you.
Trouser Suit Pant Styles
Our bodies are all different when it comes to body shape and height, so some women may have a hard time finding a well-fitting bottom to go with the suit jacket. As a general rule, straight-legged pants are flattering for everyone. If you’re petite (5’4” and under), it might be a good idea to stray away from wider-legged pants as they will make you look shorter. If you’re tall and thin or have a slim, petite frame, consider a pencil or cigarette-style pant that hits at the ankle. Pair the slim pant with a cute pump or kitten heel for an adorable look. If you have an apple-shaped frame, wider-legged pants may be a fun idea for you, though straight-legged pants also work to balance out your frame.
As for shoe color, you can do a monochromatic look with the same color as your suit or do a big pop of color for a fun spin.
Tips for Wearing Trouser Suits
While trouser suits never go out of style, there are a few tips to keep you looking your best in them:
- First, tailor your trouser suit to your body. Find a seamstress who is capable of hemming the pant or taking in the waist of the jacket so that it fits properly.
- Go for a classic shape and style. A double or single-breasted, button-up jacket is always stylish and classy.
- If you want to keep your suit in style for longer, shy away from bold patterns and trendy colors— stick with neutrals like black, grey, or white.
- Straight-legged pants are always in style, so you can keep your trouser suit looking modern by pairing them with updated shoes and jewelry.
- If you want a touch of unisex styling, try wearing a crisp white shirt and tie that matches the color of your suit. Pair with a pretty heel or a classic loafer.
- If you want an edgy upgrade, try wearing a belt over the jacket. Check out wider leather belts or even an obi belt in the same color as the suit.
Get the Look – Find Your Style