Welcome back to this month’s Prime Women yoga pose – Triangle Pose (Trikoasana)
Trikona = three angle or triangle
Asana = Pose
* Stretches and strengthens the thighs, while toning the knees and ankles.
* Deep stretch for the hips, groins, hamstrings, and calves; shoulders, chest, and spine
* Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
1. Start in Warrior II, Warrior 2 Yoga Pose – The Ultimate Stretching Pose.
2. Reach your left arm towards the front of the room, engaging your left thigh.
3. Drop your left hand down onto your shin or ankle. If you are more open, bring your left hand to the floor on the inside or outside of the left foot. Do whichever one feels most comfortable.
4. The right shoulder stacks on top of the left one as you open your chest, reaching the right fingertips towards the ceiling while keeping your right shoulder “pushed” down into its socket.
5. Take your gaze up toward your right fingertips. (If you do not have severe neck problems or high blood pressure. See below for Cautions.)
6. Draw the left thigh muscles upwards, deepening the crease in your left hip.
7. Microbend your left knee.
** To come out (one version)
8. Bend left knee (check knee to ankle alignment) and “windmill” both arms as you lift torso up into Warrior 2.
9. Straighten your front leg, and place both hands on your hips (for balance).
10. Turn your right toes facing forward (neutral placement), and turn your left foot so that you will be in Warrior 2. Repeat above instructions using the right leg to straighten.
* High blood pressure: Turn your head to gaze downward in the final pose.
* Neck problems: Don’t turn your head to look upward; continue looking straight ahead and keep both sides of the neck evenly long.
* If you are finding it harder to stretch your hand towards the floor, bring your right hand higher up on your leg or place a block on the floor under your hand. (It is more important to keep your right leg straight than to bring your right hand to the floor.)
* Do not rest your hand directly on your knee because this may create too much pressure on the knee.
* Brace your back heel or the back of your torso against a wall if you feel unsteady in the pose.
Always work within your own range of limits and abilities.
If you have any medical concerns, talk with your doctor before practicing yoga poses.
Open your heart and turn towards the sun, feel its warmth…take a breath and know you are alive. You have meaning because you were given that breath for a purpose. Believe in yourself…as you find yourself…in yourself.
– Noelle Leon-McQueen
Subscribe today for free to receive our weekly update and never miss an article.