We all have busy, and at times, exhausting lives. Sometimes getting to the gym or making plans to take a class is not a possibility. It is easy to just skip it and promise yourself to make time tomorrow, except tomorrow seems to be just as busy and just as exhausting. Even I get this way! For example: I am in the midst of training for my next bodybuilding competition and after doing 2-a-day training 6 days a week, I do not want to take more time out of my other appointments for a long yoga class.
The warrior 2 yoga pose is one of those beautiful poses that can be used for opening and re-energizing multiple tired muscles. I love taking time after lifting HEAVY weights to do deep breathing and just allow the warrior 2 yoga pose to open and stretch back out tight muscles. Whether you are tired and tight or you are feeling run-down, just give the warrior 2 yoga pose a try. I promise you will love it!
Remember to breathe deeply and focus on relaxing your muscles. Repeat as many times as you like. As always, if you have any questions or if there is a specific pose you would like to see next, contact me.
Instructions for Warrior 2 Yoga Pose
1. Stand in Tadasana (Mountain Pose). With an exhalation, step or lightly jump your feet 3 1/2 to 4 feet apart. Raise your arms parallel to the floor and reach them actively out to the sides, shoulder blades wide, palms down.
2. Turn the left toes to the left wall and your right foot out 90 degrees, then bend the left knee directly over the left ankle. Align the right heel with the left heel. Firm your thighs and turn your right thigh outward so that the center of the right knee cap is in line with the center of the right ankle.
3. Stretch the arms away from the space between the shoulder blades, parallel to the floor. Don’t lean the torso over the right thigh – keep the sides of the torso equally long and the shoulders directly over the pelvis. Press the tailbone slightly toward the pubis. Turn the head to the left and look out over the fingers.
4. Stay for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Inhale to come up. Reverse the feet and repeat for the same length of time to the left.
Benefits of Warrior 2 Yoga Pose
* Strengthens and stretches your legs, ankles and feet
* Stretches your hips, groins and shoulders
* Opens your chest and lungs
* Builds stamina and concentration
* Energizes tired limbs
* Stimulates your abdominal organs
* Helps relieve backaches
* Develops balance and stability
* Improves circulation and respiration
* Therapeutic for flat fleet, sciatica, osteoporosis, carpal tunnel and infertility
Always work within your own range of limits and abilities.
If you have any medical concerns, talk with your doctor before practicing yoga.