As if we need to be reminded that fashion should be fun, there are tons of ways to be fashion-forward this fall with something as small as a single item – a statement bag, a daring dress, or some cat-eye sunnies – can reinvigorate your image in an instant.
I went in search of some new pieces to add to the mix, and here are your Top 10 Fall Fashion Trends so you’ll stand out in style:
1. Fall Florals: Whether bold and bright, or delicate and dainty, balance this look with a block pump or a boot.
2. Sleek Satin: A segue from spring’s “lingerie” trend, satin stays. Look for it now in long-sleeved dresses and blouses.
3. The Velvet Touch: Everything from romantic dresses to plush separates like trouser pants and peasant blouses. Dress velvet up by wearing it head-to-toe or dumb it down by pairing a top with jeans.
4. Double-breasted Coats: This trend is perfect for the “pear” and “rectangle” body shapes, but a NO-NO for “inverted triangles.” The peacoat/military jacket is back and ready for battle whether cropped at the hip or ankle length.
5. Lace: It’s not just for spring brides. For fall, think more along the lines of gothic elegance. Dark hues, whether burgundy, navy, or black, abound in dresses, skirts, and tops.
6. Shades of Rust: From suede to silk to knits, this coppery hue was everywhere on the runway. With so many tones, this color is flattering on almost any complexion. And, if you find you’re not as bright as a penny, choose pants so that the shade is away from your face.
7. Bold Plaids: Plaids can be tricky, and depending on your body shape, can be worn all-over or only in select places. If you are a “pear,” “apple,” or “hourglass,” plaids on your pants (or skirts) is not happening. Go for the plaid pants if you are an “inverted triangle,” but conversely, be careful with a plaid print in a top. No matter your shape, analyze the size of the check and try it on before you buy…you don’t want to be overwhelmed by blocks.
8. Selective Sequins: We’re all a-glitter about sequins! No longer reserved for prom dresses and bridal gowns, sequins see the sunshine in selectively appropriate office attire. Think matte sequins in sleeveless shell tops under a blazer, on belts, on pumps, and ONLY on pants for an after-5 occasion. How amazing are these sequin culottes?!?!
9. Furry Bags: Think fashion-forward with fur! We’re loving these furry finds from clutches to carryalls. This cozy touch adds class to any fall outfit. Choose a classic silhouette in your bag to keep it grown up. Accessories that make a statement are a must no matter your age.
10. The Lone Shoulder: A continuation of the “cold shoulder” trend that exploded this spring, this asymmetrical look is more sophisticated, sultry, and universally flattering. Look for it in dresses, blouses, and an always on-trend jumpsuit.
My #1 inviolate rule, regardless of age: Only “reveal” one thing! You have one choice out of two, otherwise you might be mistaken for a red-light find…
If you have great legs, go for it in a super short skirt. If you have a fabulous bust, be brave in your beauty. BUT, never both at the same time.
Take a look at How to Wear Leather When You’re WELL Past 50 for more fashion-forward ideas.