Navigating our way through this challenging year has been tough. And if the holiday season brought even more stress into your life, yoga and meditation may be able to help. But with all of the resources out there, it can get a little overwhelming. That’s why we’re sharing some of our favorite Prime Women yoga articles and videos, so you have everything you need to pick up a new practice or get back to your basics! Namaste!
The Benefits Of Yoga
Step into a modern yoga class, and you’ll likely find yourself sweating through a series of dynamic poses. Yoga has become synonymous with “flow,” and the practice has gained popularity as a type of physical exercise in the U.S. But contrary to popular belief, not all forms of yoga involve active movement. Another yoga style, known as restorative yoga, involves holding static postures with the primary goal of restoring balance to the mind and body. Read more about the basics (and benefits) of this restorative practice.
Yoga For Brain Health
By adding yoga to your weekly exercise arsenal, researchers believe you can decrease your perception of stress and offset the negative effects of cortisol. Ultimately, that means you can spare the brain deterioration that follows elevated cortisol levels. This in itself is good news, but this is like icing on the cake. For midlife women more susceptible to the negative effects of cortisol who struggle with weight management, reducing cortisol can help a cascade of other concerns.
Yoga Poses To Try Now
Our expert yogis have shared the best yoga poses with us, along with information about how to achieve each pose, the muscle groups and areas targeted, and the lasting benefits of each. We also have a Prime Women Yoga Challenge! Check out our favorite Prime Women yoga videos:
- Pigeon Pose: This shoulder and chest-opening pose stretches the thighs, groin, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and neck.
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose): Ease into this pose to open the chest, heart, and shoulders, stretch the spine and hip flexors, and more.
- Parighasana (Gate Pose):
- Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward-Facing Dog Pose): Upward-Facing Dog stretches the chest and spine while strengthening the wrists, arms, and shoulders.
- Uttihita Chaturanga Dandasana (High Plank Pose): High Plank Pose tones and strengthens every part of the body: legs, back, arms, shoulders, abdomen, hips, and butt.
- Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I): This popular move strengthens your shoulders, arms, legs, ankles, and back, opens your hips, chest, and lungs, and even improves focus, balance, and stability.
- Yin Yoga Backside Stretching Pose: This yoga move improves core strength and balance, opens the hips, and strengthens the legs. Watch our video and try it for yourself!
- Downward Facing Dog Pose
- Anjaneyasana & Kneeling Lunge Pose
- Utkatasana the Basic Chair Pose
- Tree Pose
- Cobra Yoga Pose
- Half Camel Pose (Ardha Ustrasana) Yoga Pose
You can combine certain poses and make them into a short yoga sequence or a longer workout. Here are some of our sequences and how each benefits your body.
- 5-Minute Yoga For Open Hips and Lower Back
- 10-Minute Yoga to Sculpt and Tone Your Core
- Yoga to Relieve Stress Headaches And Tension
- How to Use a Yoga Strap to Open Your Shoulders
- Yoga to Strengthen Legs, Hips, and Glutes
- Yoga for Better Balance And Leg Strength
- Energize Your Day With A Short Yoga Sequence!
- Yoga Breathing Exercises to Focus and Create Space
- 5-Minute Yoga for Neck, Shoulders, and Back
- Stretch! 5 Yoga Poses to Ease Back Pain
If you struggle to get down on the floor try chair yoga instead. There are many poses that you can do sitting in a chair that will bring you physical benefits.
Prime Women Yoga Challenge
Top-Reviewed Yoga Pants
Yoga pants have quickly become a staple in every woman’s life, and serve as the perfect pair of pants for workouts, errand-running, and just lounging around the home. In fact, we might go so far as to say that there is no pair of pants in your closet that is more versatile than a pair of high-quality leggings. Looking to treat yourself to a new pair? We’ve rounded up some top-reviewed yoga pants that you will want to wear all year long.
If you’re like millions of others, the New Year will bring new goals and resolutions. And for so many, those resolutions include some sort of health goal: get back in shape, eat right, lose weight, and more. But for many just getting started can be hard. Where do you start, especially if you haven’t been active in a while? The Prime Women 30 Day Fitness Challenge was created by Prime Women for Prime Women to help you reach your health goals in 2021. All you need is 5-minutes a day to complete this 30-day fitness challenge!
How to Participate:
- Schedule 5-minutes a day to commit to yourself and your health. Set an alarm! Work up to 10 or 15 minutes a day if you can. But commit to at least 5 minutes.
- Get the tip, challenge, or workout of the day in the private Prime Women Facebook group. Or come back to this page daily (bookmark now).
- Subscribe to Prime Women Media on YouTube and click receive notifications. This is where we will be posting the workout videos.
- Complete the activity and initial or comment on the Facebook post when you’re done!
- Invite a friend to join you and help keep you accountable. Look for each other’s initial and like. Or text each other.
This page is for informational purposes only. Please consult with a physician or fitness professional before starting a new fitness routine.