Hot chocolate bombs are the newest trend for the holiday season. They are pretty expensive and sold out everywhere you go. But don’t fret; you can create hot chocolate bombs with these simple steps.
Have The Right Tools
Having the right tools makes any job easier, which is true for hot chocolate bombs. You can find the silicon mold to create hot chocolate bombs at most craft stores. Though it is getting harder to find them, I suggest you use what you can find. If you can’t find the sought after round mold, I have seen them being made with flat round molds and even square silicon molds.
Other Tools Needed
When you melt the chocolate, be sure to use either a melting pot, or a double boiler. You will also need a cookie sheet, parchment paper, bakers rack, cake pan or metal plate, milk, good hot chocolate (designed to be made with milk), and marshmallows. You can also have sprinkles and crushed peppermint to add into the ball. Many people will tell you to temper the chocolate, but as long as you use the good chocolate, you can skip this step.
Splurge On The Good Chocolate
Don’t go cheap with the chocolate, it really makes a difference. I usually use candy melts for my chocolate covered needs, but I don’t recommend using them to create your own hot chocolate bombs. Splurge on the good stuff: either get the Ghirardelli chocolates chips or the Bakers chocolate bars. They both melt great and harden to perfection to create your hot chocolate bombs.
Time For The Fun Part
It’s time to melt the chocolate. This is the fun part for me – well, one of the fun parts of this craft. Follow these steps for melting your chocolate and creating the first part of the hot chocolate bomb.
- There should be instructions on your melting pot to properly melt the chocolate. If you don’t have a melting pot, place the chocolate in a small pan inside a large pan that is half full of water. Place the stove top on low, and this will slowly melt your chocolate.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on top of the cookie sheet and then place the bakers rack on top of that.
- After the chocolate is melted, place a table spoon of chocolate in each mold and spread it around with a basting brush or the back of your spoon.
- Tip the mold over onto the bakers rack to get the excess chocolate out.
- Put the mold in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Repeat step 3, be sure to get the chocolate all the way up the sides so they are thick enough to hold all the goodies.
- Place the mold back in the refrigerator for another 20 minutes.
Create the Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Carefully push out the hardened chocolate half circle from the mold.
- After you have gotten all of the half chocolate circles out of the mold, it’s time to put them together.
- Heat up the cake pan, just hot enough that you can still handle touching it.
- Place the open end of one of the hot chocolate half circles onto the hot cake pan and move it around until it’s even and melted a bit.
- Do this step to two half circles.
- Add a tablespoon of hot chocolate and some marshmallows to one half of the circle.
- Place the two half circles together, and carefully rub your finger around the seam.
- Place the hot chocolate bomb in the refrigerator to harden again.
- You can drizzle more chocolate on the outside and add sprinkles for a festive look.
Want to see how it’s done? Watch the video below and subscribe to Prime Women’s YouTube channel for more!