Are you taking a vitamin E supplement? Keep reading to learn all about the skin, hair, and nail benefits of using vitamin E, along with the best vitamin E products to keep your skin hydrated and glowing.
What is Vitamin E?
Vitamin E actually describes eight different compounds that help protect our cells from damage. This essential nutrient is found in many foods, and it’s also available as a dietary supplement. It’s fat-soluble, which means our bodies can store it and use it as needed.
Vitamin E is found in many foods such as almonds, peanuts, and vegetable oils, along with green, leafy vegetables. Some people also take it in supplement form or apply it directly to the skin.
As mentioned above, some people take vitamin E supplements, but it’s essential to only take the recommended dosage. Ingesting too much vitamin E can cause many adverse health effects, so speak with your physician before you begin to take a new supplement.
The Skincare Benefits of Vitamin E
Vitamin E oil’s benefits derive from two features: its antioxidant properties, which fight inflammation and slow the effects of free radicals, and moisturizing properties when applied directly to the skin. The skincare benefits of vitamin E include:
- Wound healing and scar prevention: Research suggests that well-moisturized skin is less likely to scar.
- Possible skin cancer prevention: A 2013 study concluded that mice taking vitamin E were less likely to develop skin cancer when exposed to ultraviolet light. However, human studies were inconclusive.
- Relief from common skin issues: Vitamin E may help reduce itchy skin, ease eczema, and reduce the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Sunburn prevention: Limited research suggests that vitamin E can prevent or reduce the formation of sunburns.
- Good nail health: Vitamin E supplements can prevent yellow nail syndrome, which causes yellowing, cracked, peeling nails. It also supports nail health by preventing dry and cracked cuticles.
Who should (and shouldn’t) use Vitamin E?
If you’re currently dealing with eczema, psoriasis, or itchy skin, you’ll probably love the moisturizing benefits of vitamin E. It’s oil soluble (meaning it can be applied in oil form), so it’s easy to incorporate into your skincare routine.
However, if you have sensitive skin, you may want to test the waters by first incorporating it into your moisturizer. If you have very sensitive or oily skin, you may want to skip vitamin E-rich products altogether. Some people are even allergic or topically sensitive, but the allergy is rare.
The Best Vitamin E Oils for Skin, Hair, and Nails
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
1. The Body Shop Vitamin E Overnight Serum-in-Oil, $26
Made with protective vitamin E, moisturizing wheat germ oil, and Community Trade sesame seed oil from Nicaragua, The Body Shop’s Vitamin E Overnight Serum in Oil is a perfectly formulated combination that helps replenish the skin with moisture and hydration overnight, so you awake to skin feeling refreshed, and looking radiant and rested.
2. Sunday Riley C.E.O. 15% Vitamin C Brightening Serum, $85
This cult favorite from Sunday Riley combines vitamins C and E for a lightweight, non-greasy product to brighten and combat signs of aging.
3. R+Co Two Way Mirror Smoothing Oil, $32
Use this lightweight oil on wet or dry hair to combat frizziness. The vitamin E will restore luster and shine, and it also includes argan and jojoba oils to protect hair from environmental and heat damage.
4. Mother Nature’s Essentials Vitamin E Oil, $19.95
This oil is made from 100 percent edible plant-based materials, so you could even take it orally! But if you’d prefer to enjoy the skincare benefits immediately, simply mix it with your favorite lotion or cream.
5. Up&Up Vitamin E Dietary Supplement Oil, $4.99
Simply apply this moisturizing oil to areas of dry, flaky skin to moisturize and revitalize for a healthy, youthful glow. You can also massage it into cracked cuticles to soften and speed up the healing process.
6. Sally Hansen Vitamin E Nail and Cuticle Oil, $5.68
Brush on this vitamin E Nail & Cuticle Oil nightly to help increase circulation to the nail bed and stimulate growth.
7. One Love Botanical E Youth Preservation Serum, $75
This lightweight, easily absorbed serum is formulated with innovative plant cell technology to help balance moisture levels and smooth the skin. It also helps improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles to help preserve a youthful appearance.
8. JASON Vitamin E 14,000 IU Skin Oil, $7.51
Dealing with dry skin during the cooler seasons is rough. So, just add a drop of this concentrated treatment to dry cuticles, elbows, and more. It includes antioxidant-rich vitamin E and a blend of select essential oils to deeply moisturize and condition.
9. Bio-Oil Skincare Oil, $8.47
This miracle oil is clinically proven, and dermatologist recommended to help repair skin damage and scars from surgery, injury, aging, and more. So if you have extra time to organize your skincare cabinet, keep this oil front and center!
10. DERMA E Vitamin E Skin Oil, $11.50
This fragrance-free, hypoallergenic oil deeply penetrates to renew, repair, and condition. It helps moisturize, soothe, soften, and rehydrate dry, rough skin and reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Now that we’ve covered the benefits of vitamin E and the best vitamin E products let’s talk about why we all need to be incorporating more Vitamin C products into our skincare regimen.
5 Must-Have Benefits In Every Good Skincare Routine
10 Best Products for Crepey Skin
Collagen 911: Skincare Trends That Actually Work