So Christmas is right around the corner and you’re thinking that there just isn’t enough hours in a day to get everything done! Between our busy daily lives, trying to get the gift shopping done, decorating, and attending the many different get-togethers we start to feel like taffy being STRETCHED to it’s limits. Well, have no fear! Here is the perfect PRiMEWomen exercise that will tone abs, stretch, and is super quick to do. You don’t need to skip taking care of yourself while you take care of everything else.
As always, if you have any questions or if there is a specific pose you would like to see next, drop me a message. Have a super PRiMEWomen Christmas & see ya’ll in January!
Navasana (Boat Pose)
Sit on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat with your hands resting beside your hips.
2. Keeping your spine straight, lean back slightly and lift your feet, bringing your shins parallel to the floor.
3. Lift through the top of the chest and lean back slightly. (As you do this, make sure your lower back doesn’t round)
4. Balance on your sit bones, keeping your spine straight.
5. If possible, slowly straighten your knees, raising the tips of your toes slightly above the level of your eyes. (If this isn’t possible, remain with your knees bent, lifting the shins parallel to the floor.)
6. Stretch your arms alongside the legs, parallel to each other and the floor.
7. Spread the shoulder blades across your back and stretch fingers towards ceiling. (If this isn’t possible, keep the hands on the floor beside your hips or hold on to the backs of your thighs.)
8. Keep your belly pulled into the spine tighlty to help protect the low back. Press the heads of the thigh bones toward the floor to help anchor the pose and lift the top sternum.
9. Chin should be neutral and your gaze is looking in front of you.
10. At first stay in the pose for 10-20 seconds. Gradually increase the time of your stay to 1 minute.
11. Release the legs with an exhalation and sit upright on an inhalation.
Benefits: Builds abdominal and core strength
* Strengthens and stretches core muscles (abdominals, hip flexors, and lower back)
* Improves balance
* Stretches hamstring muscles of the legs
* Aligns and stretches spine
* Stimulates the thyroid, intestines, kidneys, and prostate gland
Contraindications and Cautions
* Heart Problems
* Low blood pressure
* If you have a neck injury: Sit with your back near a wall to perform this pose. As you tilt your torso back rest the back of your head on the wall.
Always work within your own range of limits and abilities. If you have any medical concerns, talk with your doctor before practicing yoga.
Helpful Yoga Products