Valentine’s Day. It seems like a simple holiday, right? All hearts and flowers – what could go wrong with a day set aside for love? Well, it turns out quite a lot if you aren’t sensitive to others’ feelings or you have expectations that aren’t met, either by your spouse or a companion. Valentine’s Day etiquette will help you this Valentine’s Day.
According to Nancy D. O’Reilly, a clinical psychologist and founder of the WomenSpeak Project, which educates and supports women in the experience of growing older, there are more fights and breakups on this day than any other day. “Everyone is looking for confirmation of the level and amount of love (felt toward them).”
With that thought in mind, here are some rules of Valentine’s Day etiquette to follow as you navigate this February 14th:
Valentine’s Day Gift Etiquette For Husbands & Companions
- If you are married, plan how you will spend the evening together. As for gifts, you have a track record together, so you probably know what to buy him, if anything, and you know what to expect. DON’T give him a gym or Weight Watcher’s membership or some other well-intentioned gift to help him lose weight. Remember, everyone is looking for validation that they are loved, not in need of “fixing.” Scroll down for some fun gift ideas.
- If you have someone in your life, it’s all about how long you’ve been together. You might just ask how they feel about Valentine’s Day and decide together what works best. If you’ve only been dating a short while, just a card is the best bet. If you’ve been dating quite a while, you might give him cuff links (we’ve got a whimsical pair down in the gift section) or a shirt/tie.
Valentine’s Day Gift Etiquette For Single & Widowed Friends
- Remember Valentine’s Day can be a sad reminder to those that are alone and not by choice. There are loads of Valentine’s Day gifts for friends and family members that let them know they are loved and that you are thinking of them.
- A simple Valentine’s Day card is a lovely gesture to let those friends who are more than an arm’s reach away know that you care as well.
Valentine’s Day Gift Etiquette For Children & Grandchildren
- Children never get too old to let them know you love them, whether it’s just a card, a box of candy, or a pair of sweet earrings or necklace (see below for suggestions). Even a son might enjoy a fun gift basket like the golf or cigar-themed ones below.
- Grandchildren, of course, love the holiday. They usually get more than enough candy with school parties, etc. A gift they’ll keep is a way they can remember Grammy all year long. We love the DIY dollhouse and car-themed toy storage bins for little ones and earrings or necklaces for older girls. A wireless Bluetooth speaker in Valentine’s red can go boy or girl.
Following a little Valentine’s Day etiquette can make this holiday better than a box of chocolates!
Great Gifts for Your Loved Ones
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
Top Valentine’s Day Gift Destinations
If you’re like me, you’ve just realized that Valentine’s Day is NEXT WEEK! There’s nothing worse than being down to the wire and still trying to think of an awesome last-minute gift (or some last-minute hints for your special someone). If this describes your current situation, check out some of these prime shopping locations and the type of gift you can hope to find there. Order now and get it in time for the holiday, or go check out what the top stores for Valentine’s Day shopping have to offer and get it wrapped up and ready to go. Whichever method you choose, make sure you get on it soon because this year is flying by!
Amazon: Surprise Her With Our Heart Warming Couple Gifts
Anthropologie: Play Cupid. Gifts That Say Be Mine
ASOS: Valentine’s Lingerie
Baked By Melissa: Valentine’s Day Gift Guide
Best Buy: Tech They’ll Heart
Bloomingdales: Our Best Gifts
Coach Outfit: Feel The Love
Crate & Barrel: A Day To Share The Love
David Yurman: Togetherness
Dillards: Valentine’s Day
Free People: Love Is….
From Your Flowers: Valentine’s Day Gift Guide
Godiva: Valentine’s Day Chocolate Guide
Gorjana: Valentine’s Day Gift Guide
Jared: Valentine’s Day Jewelry Gift Guide 2022
JC Penney: Live Laugh Love
Karen Millen: Valentine’s Day Outfits
Kay Jewelers: Valentine’s Day Gift Guide
Kendra Scott: Free Gift with $100 Purchase
Khols: Get Your Gifts In An Hour Or Less
Lord & Taylor: Valentine’s Day Gifts
Macy’s: Gift Finder
Matches Fashion: Gifts
Michael Kors: Enjoy 20% Off
Neiman Marcus: Valentine’s Day Gifts
Net – A – Porter: From The Heart
Nordstrom: The Best Gifts for Every Love On Your List
Nordstrom Rack: Love’s A Big Deal. Up to 60% Off
Revolve: It’s Not You. It’s Us.
Saks Fifth Avenue: Leave Your Loved Ones Speechless
Saks Off Fifth: Valentine’s Day Gift Guide
Selfridges: Valentine’s Love
Sephora: Valentine’s Day
Talbots: Valentine’s Day
Target: Valentine’s Day
Ted Baker: Gifts
Ulta: Beauty To Love
Uncommon Goods: Valentine’s Day Gifts
Victoria’s Secret: The Beauty Gift Guide
Walmart: Valentine’s Gifts They’ll Love
Williams Sonoma: Happy Valentine’s Day
Zales: Let Your Love Shine With Gifts
Zappos: Valentine’s Day Shop
Read Next: 3 Outfits and Dates to Inspire Valentine’s RomanceLace Cookies with Orange Mascarpone and RaspberriesValentine’s Day Gift Guide